The power of words

Sometimes I read something that just blows me away and makes me realise how much I (we) self-censor when we create. 


We continually limit ourselves to what we think people will (a) accept and (b) understand*.

The latest piece that brought this home to me was this spectacular paragraph.

I love it when this happens. It opens my own floodgates and for a while everything just pours out.

Over time however, the gates start slowly closing again under the pressures of conformity and fear. Until the next time I stumble across something like this or read anything by Jeanette Winterson.

The power of words never fails to astonish me. They're just black marks on paper but they can change the world.

_________________________________________________________
* People are better at reading between the lines than we think. We don't need to spell it all out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Sense

Me too