Cliches are cliches because they're true

"If you fall off the horse, get straight back on."


There's no other way. The longer you leave it, the harder it gets.

Get STRAIGHT back on.

A couple of gutsy examples that come to mind are James Hird's return to football after that sickening face injury and Mick Fanning's return to the ocean after his hair-raising encounter with a shark.

Our "falls" might not be as physically frightening as those but we still deal with our own little fails every day. Things that can dent our confidence, motivation and resolve. There's nothing for it but to GET UP AND GO STRAIGHT BACK INTO THE FRAY. We only fail when we give up. Until then, "fails" are just "learning experiences" ;)

The hardest falls I find are the ones where you feel humiliated. Pride is a very demanding master. Best to show it who's boss early or you can end up serving it all your life.

So, what brought all this on?


I went for a ride today with my experienced neighbour and made a bit of a pig's ear of it to be honest.

Everything felt like pulling teeth and I couldn't understand why.

It was a bit demoralising actually and I sat down and pondered for a while afterwards.



And that's when the voices started:

Maybe motorbikes aren't me? 

Maybe I'm getting too old? 

Maybe I should do something else?

MEH.

You can do ANYTHING you want.

Put the bike away, forget about it and next time you go out it'll be a whole lot different.

And if it isn't, it'll be the time after that.

Or the one after that.

"Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration" said Thomas Edison. If that held true for a man like him, how much more for us?!

Forget your fails. Don't keep going over them. Your body's smart, it's learned from them already. It knows what to do next time.

Back yourself.

Get on the horse again, kick it in the guts and GO.

Life's too short to do anything else.

_________________________________________________________
NB: I also had to remind myself that I have a grand total of ten hours experience on motorbikes IN MY LIFE.  Stupid boy…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Sixth Sense

Me too