The Sixth Sense

I'd forgotten how good this 1999 film was. I happened upon it again this week in a hotel room and couldn't turn it off. Afterwards I googled it and read the fascinating story of its writer/director (whose name I can't pronounce let alone write). Long story short: he made it to the top of his craft despite a surprising number of dud films along the way. And the really surprising thing was that the duds and successes were INTERSPERSED. I think that's exceptional because our normal reaction after a big success followed by a dud is to quit. We tell ourselves the first one was a fluke, that we don't really have any talent and that the market has finally woken up. Not this guy. He had success, dud, success, more duds and so on. As of now he's at the top but I'm betting he's the sort of guy who's not resting on his laurels. He's obviously a gritty performer who believes in himself and isn't easily swayed by either failure OR success. Both are imposters anyway according to Rudyard Kipling's "If".  The journey's the thing, not the destination. "Failure" is really just learning - as long as you keep going. When Thomas Edison was asked if he ever became despairing over his famous 999 failed attempts to invent the light bulb he said "no, because I didn't consider it failing - I just considered I was learning 999 ways you CAN'T make a lightbulb!" It doesn't matter what field of endeavour you're in, the message is always the same: NEVER. GIVE. UP. Unless of course your idea really is a dud. Then you should chuck it in immediately and start something else. But how do you know the difference? That's the big one, the million dollar question. The answer? Experience. And that means that early on you're going to jump off some ideas too soon and yes, flog dead horses too often too, until, one day, you wise up. It's called life I think. I don't know of any shortcuts. If you do, please share! I guess we eventually just develop a bit of a SIXTH SENSE about these things 😏.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me too